- National English Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- World Language Honor Society
- Science Honor Society
Sponsors: Mrs. Deavers, Mrs. Lee
The National Honor Society is an organization that recognizes students who demonstrate outstanding Scholarship, exceptional Leadership, exemplary Service and extraordinary Character.
Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors must have at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average to be considered for the selection process into the National Honor Society.
Students who are scholastically eligible will be notified shortly after the first semester has ended. If an eligible student wishes to be considered for selection into the National Honor Society the student must then complete a Student Activity Information Form and an essay. The National Honor Society Faculty Council reviews this information plus input from the faculty at large and selects students who excel in each of all four areas: Scholarship, Leadership, Service and Character.
Induction of the selected students into the National Honor Society takes place in early spring. Following induction, all members of the National Honor Society are expected to maintain the high standards for which they were selected and to participate in the various service projects that the National Honor Society conducts through the school year.
NHS meets during PRIDE Time on Tuesdays A shift in the Auditorium.
Sponsor: Ms. Mikula.
WLHS meets during PRIDE Time on Tuesdays B shift in T3R1.
The World Language Honor Society is a combination of three National Honor Societies:
The purpose of the Society is to recognize high achievement of high school students enrolled and promotes a continuing interest in advanced study of World Languages.
Eligible members who are graduating seniors are recognized with an Honor stole or cord to wear at graduation.
The World Language Honor Society encourages attendance at local cultural events.
Eligibility for membership consists of:
- The student must be enrolled in La Plata High School.
- The student must be in the second semester of a Level 3 Honors course in Spanish, French or Latin.
- The student must have an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0.
- The student must have an overall cumulative grade point average in the World Language course of at least 3.25.
- The student must exhibit honorable qualities such as character, leadership, seriousness of purpose, cooperation, honesty, service and commitment to others.
- The student must have the recommendation of his/her current World Language teacher.
- The student must have the approval of the La Plata High School administration and staff.
- The student must participate in the Induction practice and ceremony.
To maintain membership in subsequent years:
- The student must maintain his/her academic grade point average (overall 3.0 and in the World Language 3.25).
- The student must continue to be enrolled in an Honors Level World Language course at La Plata High School.
- The student must continue to exhibit honorable qualities such as character, leadership, seriousness of purpose, cooperation, honesty, service and commitment to others.
- The student must participate in at least four meetings/cultural activities approved by the sponsor prior to February 1 of the current school year.
- The student must provide service in the form of peer tutoring at least twice prior to February 1 of the current school year.
- The student must participate in the Induction practice and ceremony for new members.